Friday, October 16, 2009

Bump in the night...




So...last night or rather in the wee hours of this morning I was sitting here working on a layout project (2:45 am to be precise - I know because I looked at the clock on the computer) I heard someone open the side door of the house and go upstairs to the apartment that my landladie's son and his family used to live in ( they moved out this week in order to get the kiddo into a better school).
At first I didn't think much of it..the kids were always night owls so I was pretty used to hearing them move around but then it hit me.... they'd moved out.....there shouldn't be anyone up there.

There was definitely movement..someone knocked something over... I was wide awake and wired on caffiene so I wasn't dreaming noises. I listened a moment or two more then looked out and didn't see any odd cars so I picked up the phone and dialed my landlady. I hated to do it..it was odarkthirty..but I didn't want to call the cops if the kids had come to do late night painting or some such. They both have authority figure issues - they hate cops.

No luck.

I debated a bit then finally went outside and around to their door. The nextdoor neighbors lights were all on...and upstairs in the apartment over my place..every light was on  - whoa...brave burglars if it was burglars.

I thought about it for a moment then knocked..loudly.

all movement stopped.

Then it occurred to me that if this had been a horror movie I would be toast..I'd walked around the side of the house leaving my door unlocked and unattended.

dumbass....

Classic blunder.
worse than starting a land war in asia.

and what the hell would I do if THEY did answer the door? ask to borrow a cup of sugar?


So do I sit outside all night in the cold damp ghetto...or do I woman up and go back inside and face the potential axe murderer.


It started to rain....

I went back inside figuring that I had a nice big stick and that if it was just one scrawny serial killer I could probably at least scar them for life. If nothing else the fight would be cheaper than art therapy and I wouldnt get into trouble for smacking or biting.


I'm happy to report...there was no masked madman waiting when I got back inside....he must have read my last couplr of blogs figured out that I was both stressed and crazy so he slipped quietly out the back and went on to seek out  a nice nubile cheerleader.


The kids are up there now seeing what all's missing. I told them the next time I hear a bump or thump it's just an immediate call to 911.






3 comments:

  1. Ok...30 million gamer scenarios later and you pulled the dumb idiot broad in the horror flick movie...with that stunt you wouldn't make it past the first reel! I am shocked...and as I also said in the IM - I am very VERY glad you are safe! Mind you, in you vs. psycho idiot slasher, my money is on you...unlees there is a gun involved. So...thanks to the deity of your choice that you ran off whatever idiot it was, and all's well that ends well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny, You would think that given the age of the house I'd have a ghost or three...but no. This place is actually unhaunted. There's a lingering air of happy times and comfort, but that's all.

    and Cameron...I *know* of all people I would have not thought that I would have pulled such a dumb stunt. My defense...it was 3am and I'd worked myself to the stupid tired point. I did have my cane (yes, the sword cane) and my cell phone with me so if there had been a bad guy waiting for me behind my door they would have been a bit startled. "that crazy white lady fights back" and I will confess that the front door got slammed back against the wall when I went back in. and I wasn't leaning on the cane. The cell phone had 911 entered and my thumb was on send. I felt like an ass..but I was a defensively stanced ass by ghu!

    ReplyDelete