Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Naked Atlanta...

Let me just start out by saying that I live in a very URBAN area.
Very urban.... you can see the dome of the Georgia capitol building from the upstairs balcony.  It's also a very ethnically diverse area where I ...with my terribly white self am a glowing minority.

That being said I was taking a break from work the other day and when out onto the front porch to enjoy some tea, sunshine and a good book.

"The Kitchen House" (okay it's a mediocre book but I was just starting it at the time so I had high hopes)

I'm sitting there on the couch sipping my tea, listening to the neighbor cuss his lawn and reading. Thoroughly enjoying the very prosaic peaceful moment when I began to hear the very distinctive Clop CLOP Clop CLOP of shod hooves.
I looked at the book...and frowned..it wasn't good enough to transport me into auditory fantasy land.
I've had books vivid enough to make me see smell and hear every nuance.... This was an okay little book but nothing shattering.

The neighbor had stopped too and was looking around....

sure enough...right down the middle of the street came an absolutely gorgeous appaloosa being ridden by a guy wearing nothing but a braves baseball cap, tube socks and shoes.
White guy...
very
and obviously glad to be out enjoying the sunshine....and obviously not European.

Did I mention that I live in downtown Atlanta?
In the hood?
there are no stables in the hood....

Obviously he was lost because I live on a dead end street and he got to the end of it looked around determined that there wasn't a crossroad...wheeled Seabiscuit back around rather expertly and clip clopped back the way he'd come with a nod to me and the neighbor.

The neighbor leaned on the fence and said " Miss Behavin' ....You know him?"
and I said " no....Neighbor...just because he's a white guy doesn't mean that I know him"
"He's not a friend of yours?"
"Nope"

"Don't take this wrong Miss Behavin...but white folks is weird"

"I ...can't deny that"



I have no clue who he was or how he made it from point A to point wherever without being arrested or why he wasn't plastered all over the news in all his glory but I'd like to thank the lone horseman of the hood for making my day a bit more surreal.

4 comments:

  1. Oooo, nothin' like a nekkid horseman to make your day! Did he at least have a saddle for the horse? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He had a saddle on the horse -very nice western dealie.
    What? I looked...

    ReplyDelete